Pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) play a key role in the U.S. health benefits landscape by facilitating pharmacy transactions and implementing strategies to lower pharmacy costs for insured individuals and their plan sponsors. PBMs must balance this objective with the drive to grow revenue and increase shareholder value.
Read this briefing to learn more about the top five strategies we expect PBMs to focus on in pursuit of increased growth and value, including:
- Evolving PBM-owned specialty pharmacy
- Expanding group purchasing organizations
- Increasing use of formulary exclusions
- Optimizing copay maximizers
- Expanding into direct-to-consumer offerings